Tag Archives: Scansano

Morellino di Scansano Italian WIne from the Southern Coast of Tuscany

Veduta parziale del Parco eolico dei Poggi Alt...

Veduta parziale del Parco eolico dei Poggi Alti Scansano (GR) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


Sangiovese grapes in a vineyard of Montalcino,...

Sangiovese grapes in a vineyard of Montalcino, Italy (Photo credit: Wikipedia)



I had an interesting  Taste of Tuscany when the Consorzio Tutela Morellino di Scansano brought their wine tour to the US.  Morellino is the local name for the Sangiovese grape clone. This newer wine region is located in the Maremma region of coastal Tuscany close to the hilly town of Scansano. Scansano is in the Tuscan province of Grosseto Italy. This wine was granted DOC status in 1978 and upgraded to DOCG in 2007. The wine must be made from at least 85% Sangiovese grapes. The remaining 15% can comprise other red grapes like Ciliegiolo,  Alicante and Colorino.

Fruity Morellino di Scansano is produced in the hills around the province of Grosseto between the Ombrone and Albegna rivers. This area is “between Scansano, Manciano, Magliano in Toscana, Grosseto, Campagnatico, Semproniano and Roccalbegna.”


Dr. EveAnn Lovero writes Travel Guides @ www.vino-con-vista.com



Enhanced by Zemanta

Leave a comment

Filed under Consorzio Morellino di Scansano Second Annual US Wine Tour in Chicago, Italy Travel Guides