|The Baptistry with Ghiberti’s Bronze Doors, “The Gate of Paradise” was sculpted by Ghiberti (1378-1455) between the years 1425 and 1452. The 10 panels depict biblical scenes from the Old Testament .They include: the Original Sin of Adam and Eve, the Story of Noah and the Story of Moses. Here are some “Art History Tidbits”:|
| 1. The Baptistry is one of the city’s oldest buildings, built in the 6thcentury.
2. The doors on the Baptistry are not the original doors. Ghiberti’s original doors are preserved in the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo.
4. Many visitors think that the original doors are on the Baptistry-don’t be fooled! Go see the original doors while you are in Florence at the Museum! Museo dell’Opera del Duomo is a gorgeous and large new museum dedicated to the Dome and Basilica, as well as restoration projects. Home to the largest collection of sculptures from Medieval and Renaissance Florence in the world, this museum has an active restoration lab and school on site. Ghiberti’s doors, Michelangelo’s The Deposition, a model of the original, never-completed façade of Santa Maria del Fiore, and a room dedicated to Brunelleschi’s architectural masterpiece: the Dome of Florence cathedral. The gift has a great collection of books.
5. In the center of the door, Ghiberti cast a self portrait. His prominent facial features and wrinkled brow are displayed among the other faces.
6. The original panels were damaged during the flood of 1966.
7. The panels were restored after the flood and moved to the Museo of the Cathedral.
8. Historically, the Baptistry of the church was separated from the actual church building because people were not allowed to enter the church until they were baptized.
The panel below is a scene from “The Battle with the Philistines.”
In this scene, David slays Goliath and carries his head before a cheering crowd to Jerusalem.
Dr. EveAnn Lovero writes Travel Guide Books to Italy and Vino Con Vista Travel Guides can be purchased at these sites.
To learn more about Italy read www.vino-con-vista.com Travel Guides.