Chicago is one of the most beautiful cities in the world! It has a magnificent skyline and agorgeous lakefront. When tourists visit, they usually head to an observatory or the Signiture Lounge on the 95th floor of the John Hancock building for a majestic panoramic view of the Windy City.
In Chicago, if you want a great view and an amazing Vino con Vista, there are 4 basic options: a rooftop, a waterfront, a skyscraper or a sidewalk café.
These options offer something interesting to look at like Grant Park, Buckingham Fountain, Rush Street or Chicago’s architectural gems like the Art Institute while you sip and savor a glass of wine. I call these options “Vino con Vista” destinations.
If you are looking for a great place to dine or have drinks with iconic views of Chicago’s dramatic landscape there are plenty of options in “Foodie Nation” Chicago.
Here are my top choices for a Vino con Vista in Chicago. Put them on your bucket list.
1. The Dec at the top of the Ritz Carlton at 160 E. Pearson http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotels/chicago/dining/the-dec-rooftop-lounge-bar
Perched above the Magnificent Mile, The Dec has glorious views from the 12th floor lobby at the top of the Water Tower Place.
THE dec is open daily from 12 p.m.- midnight, weather permitting
This summer THE dec offers the following weekday specials:
MONDAY – Movie Fan Monday
50% OFF Bottles & Glasses of Wine
With any mention of the last movie you have seen.
TUESDAY – $2 Tuesdays
$2 Glasses of Red & White Sangria
WEDNESDAY – Ice Night
Moet & Chandon Ice – $10 Glass/ $60 Bottle
Featured Bottled Selections
THURSDAY – Tacos & Tequila
Complimentary Taco Bar
Beer, Tequila & Margarita Features
2. Rooftop of the Wit Hotel at 201 N. State Street in the Loop www.roofonthewit.com/
3. Terrace at the Trump at 401 N. Wabash
5. Mile North Rooftop Bar on the 29th floor of the hotel with the same name at 166 E. Superior www.milenorthhotel.com
6. The J Parker has 55 seats on the 13th-floor vista at The Hotel Lincoln’s rooftop lounge at 1616 N. Clark Street www.jparkerchicago.com
7. Cindy’s Rooftop open air Terrace at the top of the historic Chicago Athletic Association (www.ChicagoAthleticHotel.com) is my absolute favorite Vino con Vista Destination in Chicago! There are amazing panoramic views of Millenium Park and Lake Michigan. The 250 foot Venetian Gothic Tower was completed in 1893. It was inspired by the Doge Palace in Venice and designed by Henry Ives Cobb. In 2012, a 2 year restoration project created the magnificent rebirth of this magnificent Chicago landmark. Make reservations for www.Cindysrooftop.com for the best Vino Con Vista in Chicago!
I love that Jay Pritzker named the rooftop bar and restaurant after his mother at the top of 12 S. Michigan. “Executive Chef Christian Ragano, creator of Glencoe’s much loved Guildhall, and former Chef de Cuisine at NoMi, joins forces with renowned Spirit Guide and alumni of The Violet Hour, Nandini Khaund, to bring classic comfort and culinary invention via large format style dining over cocktails and apothecaries.”
8. For a fabulous river-front view check out Quay Restaurant and Bar at 465 E. Illinois http://www.quaychicago.com/docks.html
9. Chicago Cut at 300 N. LaSalle is another great river-front destination with award-winning steaks!
12. Grab on of the 80 seats at Homestead on the Roof at 1924 W. Chicago Avenue www.homesteadontheroof.com
14. The Shanghai Terrace at the Peninsula Hotel at 108 E. Superior was voted the number one “Chinese Restaurant in Chicago” by Zagat. Checkout the Cantonese cuisine on the 4th floor terrace. www.chicago.peninsula.com
15. Terzo Piano in the Art Institute at 159 E. Monroe Street overlooks Millennium Park. www.terzopianochicago.com/
16. I love the outdoor cafes at Tavern on Rush and Gibson’s, but who doesn’t?
Dr. EveAnn Lovero writes Travel Guides @ www.vino-con-vista.com