The Tribune Tower is a Gothic Revival It is listed as a Chicago Landmark and contributing to the Michigan–Wacker Historic District located at 435 North Michigan Avenue. It is the home of the Chicago Tribune and Tribune Company.
On June 10, 1922, the Chicago Tribune hosted an international design competition for its new headquarters. They offered $100,000 in prize money with a $50,000 1st prize for “the most beautiful and distinctive office building in the world”. More than 260 entries were received.
Prior to the building of the Tribune Tower, correspondents for the Chicago Tribune brought back rocks and bricks from a variety of historically important sites throughout the world at the request of Colonel McCormick. Many of these reliefs have been incorporated into the lowest levels of the building and are labeled with their location of origin. Stones included in the wall are from such sites as the Trondheim Cathedral, Taj Mahal, Clementine Hall, the Parthenon, Hagia Sophia, Corregidor Island, Palace of Westminster, petrified wood from the Redwood National and State Parks, the Great Pyramid, The Alamo, Notre-Dame, Abraham Lincoln’s Tomb, the Great Wall of China, Independence Hall, Fort Santiago, the Berlin Wall, Angkor Wat, Ta Prohm, and Banteay Srei among others. There are 136 fragments in the building.
On April 11, 2006 the McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum opened, occupying two stories of the building.
Dr. EveAnn Lovero writes Travel Guides @ www.vino-con-vista.com