Magnificent works of art are housed in Rome and in the Vatican City state that became sovereign in 1929, ruled by the Pope. The grand churches were built in the following order: Romanesque, Gothic, Baroque and Neo-Classical.
Most of the exquisite Baroque monuments and buildings were erected during the 16th and 17th centuries. Many of the most famous Baroque masterpieces are by Gian Lorenzo Bernini who lavished his artistic genius on the city of Rome.
Watch this Vino con Vista Video to see Bernini’s genius: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGX_gZMMa00
To learn more about Bernini’s Rome visit www.vino-con-vista.com
During my most recent trip to Rome, I went on a Bernini treasure hunt and these were some of my stops:
2. Bernini began working on the splendid “Throne of Saint Peter in Glory” in 1656. It occupies the space behind the Baldacchino and altar at St.Peter’s. The throne represents the authority of the Pontiff and is surrounded by statues of the founding fathers of the Church.
3. The Piazza Barberini has two Bernini fountains.
4. Bernini’s “Rape of Proserpina” (1622) at the Borghese Gallery depicts Pluto, the powerful god of the underground, abducting Proserpina. The magnificent sculpture is featured in this post. Proserpina’s mother was Ceres, the goddess of harvest and fertility. She cut a deal with Jupiter and obtained permission for her to daughter to spend half of the year in Hades and the other half on earth. Every spring welcomes Proserpina back to earth with a luscious carpet of flowers.
5. Bernini’s “David” was completed in 1624. The head of David is Bernini’s self portrait and it is also housed in the Borghese Gallery.
Dr. EveAnn Lovero writes Travel Guides for Italy and Vino Con Vista Travel Guides can be purchased at these sites
- Bernini’s Church of Santa Bibiana in Rome (vinoconvistablog.me)
- Drool over Bernini’s Angels in Sant’Andrea delle Fratte in Rome (vinoconvistablog.me)
- How to Decipher the Eternal City of Rome (vinoconvistablog.me)
- My Glorious Vino Con Vista Weekend in Rome: Non Basta una Vita (vinoconvistablog.me)
- Insights into the Vatican in Italy: UNESCO’s Holy City (vinoconvistablog.me)
- The Beautiful Basilica of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva in Rome Italy (vinoconvistablog.me)
- Bernini’s Church of Sant’ Andrea al Quirinale in Rome was his Favorite (vinoconvistablog.me)