|The Baptistry with Ghiberti’s Bronze Doors, “The Gate of Paradise” was sculpted by Ghiberti (1378-1455) between the years 1425 and 1452. The 10 panels depict biblical scenes from the Old Testament .They include: the Original Sin of Adam and Eve, the Story of Noah and the Story of Moses.Art History Tidbits:|
| 1. The Baptistry is one of the city’s oldest buildings, built in the 6thcentury.2. Ghiberti’s original doors are preserved in the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo.3. Inside the Duomo Museum you can admire the original scenes from the “Last Judgment” by Zuccari and Vasari.
4. Many visitors think that the original doors are on the Baptistry-don’t be fooled!
5. In the center of the door, Ghiberti cast a self portrait. His prominent facial features and wrinkled brow are displayed among the other faces.
6. The original panels were damaged during the flood of 1966.
7. The panels were restored after the flood and moved to the Museo of the Cathedral.
8. Historically, the Baptistry of the church was separated from the actual church building because people were not allowed to enter the church until they were baptized.
The panel below is a scene from “The Battle with the Philistines.”
In this scene, David slays Goliath and carries his head before a cheering crowd to Jerusalem.
Dr. EveAnn Lovero writes Travel Guide Books to Italy and Vino Con Vista Travel Guides can be purchased at these sites.
To learn more about Italy read www.vino-con-vista.com Travel Guides.
- The Ten Most Seductive Places to Drink Wine in Italy (vinoconvistablog.me)